This application is for participation in the PADX Spain trip as a Colleague. While PADX Colleagues do not receive funding and will not take part in the pitch session, they will be a core part of the PADX unit and are invited to participate in all other organized activities. Participation as a Colleague is not subject to an application process. This form serves as a registration to participate in the PADX 2024 trip to Perth, Australia. Artists, agents, and managers in the performing arts with demonstrated ability and experience in successful touring are eligible to participate. The ISPA (International Society for the Performing Arts) Congress in Perth, Australia between April 30 and May 3, 2024.
To apply to the program as Fellow and be considered for a scholarship that subsidizes part of your total program costs, please apply using the PADX Australia | Fellow Application.
Applications for PADX Australia open Wednesday, January 3, 2024 and close Friday, March 1, 2024 for Colleagues.
PADX, the Performing Arts Discovery (PAD) program’s collaborative initiative with the International Trade Administration, will officially launch its second international trip through the MDCP program by taking a delegation of artists, agents, and other performing arts professionals to the ISPA Congress in Perth, Australia in late April 2024.
Twice a year, ISPA Congresses bring together performing arts leaders from across the globe to discover the next great idea, and strengthen relationships, fostering connection and exchange. In 2024, the first ISPA congress will take place in New York in January as is typical, and the second congress in Perth, Australia. ISPA congresses are attended by more than 500 leaders from more than 50 regions representing different genres and disciplines within the performing arts field from all over the world. Programming is geared toward both established and emerging leaders in the performing arts. Congress attendees include presenters, festivals, producing companies, artist managers, consultants, and government cultural leaders.
PADX offers individuals participating as Colleagues a unique opportunity to maximize everything ISPA Congress has to offer. Immerse yourself in this global performing arts conversation under the banner of WAA and share the experience with others from the WAA community as you make new connections with performing arts professionals from all over the world and explore the culture of "Australia's urban oasis" of Perth, nestled within the vast nature of Western Australia.
The goal of the PADX initiative is to expand the international reach of U.S. artists by facilitating relationship-building with international partners and audiences beginning with WOMEX in Spain this past October 2023, and with upcoming trips to Australia in April 2024, and a return to WOMEX in Manchester later in October 2024.
The PADX team will facilitate a delegation made up of 4-6 individuals (artists, agents, and other performing arts professionals) to ISPA Congress in Perth this fall.
The delegation will include two type of participants: Colleagues and Fellows.
Fellows – PADX will select 4-6 individuals to participate in the trip as Fellows. Fellows receive a subsidized price for the trip, along with access to experts on the ground — participation in high-level meetings with global arts professionals and commerce consulates — plus participation in a special pitch session. You can find a list of additional benefits on the PADX webpage. There is no deposit requirement to apply for a Fellowship position. A $500 USD deposit will be required at time of acceptance to secure your spot. This deposit will be applied to your total trip balance. Balances must be paid in full by March 15, 2024.
Colleagues – Individuals participating as Colleagues will receive discounted travel, registration, and accommodation as well as booking and reservation facilitation through the PADX program. While Colleagues do not receive funding and will not take part in the pitch session, they will be a core part of the PADX unit and are invited to participate in all other organized activities. A non-refundable $500 USD deposit will be required at registration to secure a spot. This deposit will be applied to your total trip balance. Balances must be paid in full by March 15, 2024.
Monday, January 3 PADX application opens for FELLOWS & COLLEAGUES
Friday, February 9 PADX Fellow application closes at 5pm PT
PADX Colleague registrations remain open, capacity permitting
Friday, February 16 PADX Fellow applicant notifications
Friday, March 1 Deadline for PADX Fellow deposits ($500).
*Note that the deposit is required to secure your participation
Deadline for PADX Fellow travel information
PADX Colleague registration closes
Deadline for PADX Colleague travel information
Friday, March 15 Total balance due for Fellows and Colleagues
March TBA Pre-trip virtual meeting — Fellows and Colleagues
Tuesday, April 30 – Friday, May 3 ISPA Congress: Perth, Australia
WAA executive director, Josh Heim, and PAD program manager, Ed Bourgeois, will be traveling to ISPA Congress as leaders of the PADX Fellows delegation.
Call for Applications: WAA 2024 Juried Showcase
Applications for our 2024 Official Showcase in San Diego, CA are open!
Ten artists/ensembles will be selected to perform at the showcase – part of the 2024 WAA Annual Conference — for an audience of presenters, agents, and other performing arts professionals from the West and beyond.
The showcase will be held on site at the Town & Country in San Diego using a custom-built outdoor stage on August 26 and 27 – the first and second days of the annual conference.
Performing artists from all traditional, classical, contemporary, and culturally specific art forms are eligible to apply, and applications will be reviewed by a peer jury of arts practitioners representing a broad range of disciplines, aesthetics, and identities.
The deadline to apply is 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time on March 4; applicants will be notified at the end of April.
WAA Official Showcase
WAA’s Juried Showcase program — a core element of our annual conference — highlights artists from all performing arts disciplines. WAA’s peer panel will select ten artists/ensembles to perform in the 2024 showcase. The jury will include arts practitioners from a broad range of disciplines, aesthetics, and identities.
Performing artists from all traditional, classical, contemporary, and culturally specific art forms are eligible to apply.
The 2024 WAA Juried Showcase will take place onsite at the Town & Country Resort utilizing a custom-built outdoor stage. This stage will be located on the Martini Lawn.
Stage Dimensions: 32' wide x 20' deep (to the upstage backdrop) x 36" high; no wings or masking
Stage Floor: Black steeldeck, painted plywood, with Marley overlay
Sound: (2) stacks of line array speakers, (4) speakers per side with a Yamaha QL1 digital mixing system with 48 channels with 16 faders
Lighting: Basic standard stage wash with limited LED colored head lights for the stage
Due to the venue of this year’s conference and lack of light control, acts that require projection may not be suitable for the outdoor stage.
The greenroom will be a 1400 sq. ft. hotel meeting room. The shared greenroom space and does not include its own restroom or changing room. A public restroom is located adjacent to the greenroom.
WAA provides 30 minutes per artist/ensemble for tech, soundcheck and a brief rehearsal. Each showcase is fifteen minutes in duration, with a five-minute turnover.
Monday August 26, 2024
Tech/Sound Check: TBA
Performance: 7:30pm - 9:10pm
Tuesday, August 27, 2024
Tech/Sound Check: TBA
Performance: 11:45am - 1:30pm
Non-refundable application fee: $95.00*
Showcase fee: $950
*If selected, WAA will apply your application fee to the showcase fee.
Your application must include the following:
- Completed online application form.
- Artist statement, a maximum of 250 words. The artist statement should give a brief introduction to the artist/ensemble including their discipline, genre, themes, and goals. Be specific, concise, and avoid jargon.
- Touring History and Artistic C.V. The history and C.V. do not have to be comprehensive, but it should include an absolute minimum of three engagements. We’re interested in all aspects of your practice, with special attention paid to touring performances. You may include other relevant juried exhibitions, commissions, residency programs, and community engagement activities that make up your practice. Please Include dates, locations, presenting organizations, and any relevant contact information.
- A stage plot and technical rider specific to the proposed showcase.
- Current artist bio / EPK. Include production photos, brochures, and feature articles. WAA recommends including at least one review (in English) published within the last year, including the name of publication and date OR a testimonial letter from a presenter that speaks to the artistic quality of the performance work, if possible.
- One high-resolution digital photo. Upload files that include the artist's name, representative or agency name, and the photographer's credit, e.g. “Group Name_Agency Name_Photographer’s Name.”
- Include video samples of a live performance featuring current works that you will tour. Please do not submit promotional videos.
NOTE: WAA expects the showcase jury will review approximately 150 applications. Please give careful consideration to your artistic samples—first impressions are critical! The jury will not consider promotional videos, TV news features, TED Talks, sizzle reels etc. as part of the artistic assessment.
Less is more. The jury likes to see a variety of work from each artist with a live performance video. However, you are best served by capturing a range of your best work in a single video. The jury will spend about three minutes listening to or watching your sample(s); this is the minimum amount of time we request of the jury to spend with the materials in the initial application review. This is not a recommendation for your work samples to be a maximum of three minutes. We recommend you include a longer and shorter sample of your work, open to your interpretation, as that differs between genre, discipline, and style.
If you run into any issues or have any questions about the application or process, please don’t hesitate to reach out to WAA staff for assistance. While we will not give you direct feedback on the content of your materials, we are more than happy to provide clarity on form and general resources to assist in constructing your application. As a reminder: WAA staff does not adjudicate applications, a carefully considered peer jury of arts practitioners does.
- WAA membership is not a requirement to apply for the showcase. However, if selected, the artist(s) or their agent/manager must join WAA or be a current WAA member and register for the WAA Conference by June 28, 2024
- Applicants must produce evidence of at least two years of touring experience.
- You must complete the application form and submit all required materials Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the panel
- Artists selected for last year’s Official Showcase may not apply for a second consecutive year.
- Artistic excellence — the quality of the artist, ensemble or organization's work.
- Artistic merit — the potential impact on the artistic and cultural heritage of the West and/or the field.
- Demonstrated ability to tour — evidenced by the touring itinerary , tech rider, and press kit.
- The showcase fee includes tech rehearsal, basic technical equipment, rhythm section backline, piano (if applicable), and stage labor. Special equipment or backline will be available at an additional rental cost to the artist. WAA will outline details in materials sent to the selected artists/ensembles. Due to the venue of this year’s conference and lack of light control, acts that require projection may not be suitable for the outdoor stage.
- The showcase fee also includes two complimentary artist passes* to attend the conference, as well as a complimentary listing and showcase description in WAA conference materials and on the WAA conference website.
*These two complimentary passes are for performers within the selected acts and are not registration waivers for agents, managers, or other administrative staff associated with selected acts.
NOTE: Please remember that this is a brief showcase, not a complete performance. The WAA showcase team will do their best to meet your production needs, but we may not be able to accommodate all requirements of your regular tech rider. Due to time constraints, equipment, sets, and props must be set up and struck within 5 minutes.
Terms and Conditions
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- This application does not represent a commitment by Western Arts Alliance to showcase the applicant.
- All fees are non-refundable.
- If selected, the following conditions and limitations will apply:
If selected, the following conditions and limitations will apply:
- All showcasing artists must be Western Arts Alliance members or represented by a member by June 28, 2024. In addition to this, the artist representative must be registered to attend the conference by June 28, 2024.
- The 15-minute time restriction will be strictly enforced; WAA will end the performance by lowering the lights, sound, and announcement if time is exceeded.
- Generally, WAA will showcase no more than two artists from one agency.
For application questions: please reach out to Makaveli Gresham at email@example.com
For membership questions: please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org